Due to my wedding bod / eating healthy / working out plan, I’ve recently become smoothie obsessed and I’m not ashamed to say it. Coconut water, spinach, kale, fruits, veggies…bring it on. These healthy smoothies taste delicious and fill me up so it’s a perfect. I’ve been enjoying one for breakfast every day for weeks now. I drink it on my ride to work, which has also helped me drink less coffee (because I used to drink a huge one on my way to work)…win-win!
I connected with the lovely Vita Coco folks at the Blog Better Boston conference last month, and got to taste some of their drinks — they are all delicious, but the Pineapple Vita Coco is by far my favorite. It’s so good!
Not only did I get to try these three flavors, the Vita Coco people also passed along three delicious, energy boosting, immune system strengthening smoothie recipes to share with y’all — one being the ultimate hangover smoothie! (I have some birthday celebrating to do this weekend…might have to try this one out ).
*Smoothie retains more fiber and can function as an intestinal broom
- 1 cored apple with skin
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 2 large leaves of kale, chard (tear leaves from central stem) or a handful of spinach or beet greens
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries
- 3 tablespoons omega or flax oil
- 3 tablespoons hemp seed
- Two 11 oz containers of Vita Coco to fill blender (pure or flavored coconut water)
- Optional -– throw in half a handful of soaked almonds at the end and pulse for a quick time or two to maintain the nut’s crunchiness
Banana Coconut Smoothie
*A soothing and sweet smoothie to keep you satisfied and nourished throughout the morning
- 2-3 ripe or frozen bananas
- 5-6 fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- One or two 11oz containers of Vita Coco (flavored with pineapple or peach/mango)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen berries –- such as blueberries or strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Optional — 1 cup almond milk for creamier consistency
The Ultimate Hangover Smoothie
Advice and a Smoothie Recipe from The Food Coach and nutritionist, Dana James — coconut water and bacon and eggs top the list of hangover remedies (I knew the greasy bacon and eggs part…good to know about the coconut water part!)
- 8 ounces coconut water (rich in potassium and other electrolytes)
- ½ cup frozen strawberries (rich in vitamin C, fiber, manganese and antioxidants); can substitute blueberries, shot of wheatgrass or 1 tsp green powder (aids in digestion and detoxification)
- Heaping spoonful of vegan protein powder (amino acids aid detoxification)
- Splash of aloe vera juice
- Dash of cinnamon to sweeten (protects the liver against damage from alcohol)
- 1 tsp organic honey to sweeten, depending on taste preferences
Place ingredients into a blender and process for 60-90 seconds, pour, and serve.
James had more hangover remedy tips to share:
“If you really want to avoid a hangover, choose wine over cocktails as the sugar syrups used in cocktails are an added burden to the liver when trying to detoxify the alcohol. Some people are more sensitive to red wine as it contains more tannins than white and are more likely to feel the effects of red wine. But the biggest difference is in the additives in wine. The fewer the additives, the less hung over you are likely to feel. French wines have the most restrictions on additives, followed by Italy.”
“Take a B vitamin complex before bed to help metabolize and eliminate the alcohol.”